I have compiled a collection of what I like to think of as essential wardrobe staples. If you invest in the 10 items below, along with my collection of 10 staple accessories (later post) then you will be on the path to a very functional, versatile and timeless wardrobe. The key is to spend your money on investment pieces, such as these, then rotate it through the seasons and trends with cheap, affordable “fillers.” Think neon’s, prints & patterns and those trendy pieces that will be out next season. Remember it’s about quality, not quantity.
1. A sexy, but classy little black dress (LBD). No ifs, ands or buts…this needs to be in every woman’s wardrobe.
2. A white (or light coloured) blazer. Don’t believe that white is limited to summer. Winter whites are just as doable as summer whites…I’m wearing my white blazer today!
3. A black blazer. Believe me, you will probably get more use out of this than anything else in your wardrobe.
4. Skinny jeans. Wash is not of particular importance, and will vary based on individual tastes and lifestyle. A darker wash will be more versatile as you can wear it out in the evenings, dressed up. A lighter or distressed pair is more casual and relaxed, great for weekend wear.
5. A pair of dark-wash boot cut jeans. Every woman needs a pair of jeans she can dress up, these are it. Best to pair these (and hem them to) a pair of heels.
6. A day-wear skirt. Basically a skirt you could wear out to a nice lunch, to work, to church or visiting relatives. Best to keep the colour to a neutral (tan, white, black etc.) so that you can pair it with as many things as possible.
7. A fun mini. It doesn’t have to be a sequin skirt, although I really do love them. Pic a mini in a fun texture, print, pattern or colour to bring you from day to night in an instant.
8. A white tee-shirt. I know you might not think of a white tee-shirt as an investment piece, and it certainly doesn’t last as long as some other wardrobe essentials, but is is essential. They go with everything; you can dress them up or dress them down. I like to spend a little bit more and get one that has a ridiculously soft feels, and that hangs just right. You’ll get so much use out of it that it will be worth it.
9. A grey tee-shirt. Just the same as a white tee, this is a staple you will wear 1000 times a 1000 different ways.
10. A silk button up. Love these, the feel luxurious yet are so simple. They hang away from the body so they are very easy to wear. I have an army green one that I wear tons of different ways, dresses up in a sequin skirt or casual with distressed skinny jeans and brown biker boots. The choice is yours.
Look for my next post, where I will include my picks for the top 10 staple accessories to invest in for your wardrobe. Soon, you’ll be all set!