If it hasn’t already become blaringly obvious I love anything to do with the ballet. Screw little girl aspirations of being a ballerina…I have adult aspirations of being one. Since that’s not going to happen, I’ll console myself with some beautiful photos instead …
A summer appetizer
Today I have a great summer appetizer recipe for you, courtesy of Health magazine. You can bet I’ll be making these soon!
Grilled Zucchini Roll-Ups with Herbs and Cheese
- 3 small zucchini (about 1/2 pound each), cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/16 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 1/2 ounces fresh goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 ounces bagged baby spinach (2 cups lightly packed)
- 1/3 cup basil leaves
1. Preheat grill or grill pan to medium.
2. Discard the outermost slices of zucchini; brush the rest with oil on both sides. Sprinkle the zucchini slices with salt and pepper. Grill until tender, about 4 minutes per side. You can prepare the zucchini a day ahead and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
3. In a small bowl, combine the goat cheese, parsley, and lemon juice, mashing together.
4. Put 1/2 teaspoon of the cheese mixture about 1/2 inch from the end of a zucchini slice. Top with a few spinach leaves and a small (or half of a large) basil leaf. Roll up and place seam side down on a platter. Repeat with remaining zucchini slices. You can make these up to a day in advance; store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
It’s my birthday!
Travel Tuesday: La Sagrada Família, Barcelona
The Basílica i Temple Expiatori de la Sagrada Família (aka La Sagrada Familia) is a large Roman Catholic church in Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain, designed by Catalan architect Antoni Gaudí (1852–1926). I visited this church when I was in Barcelona in 2006, and was floored by something that could be so beautiful and ugly at the same time. If you ask me, I kind of think it looks like a mud castle!
La Sagrada Familia is one of Gaudí’s most famous works in Barcelona and has been under construction since 1882! Talk about slow movers! Gaudí became involved in the project in 1883, transforming it with his architectural and engineering style—combining Gothic and curvilinear Art Nouveau forms. He dedicated his last years to the project, and at the time of his death in 1926, less than a quarter of the project was complete. Sagrada Família’s construction progressed slowly, as it relied on private donations and was interrupted by the Spanish Civil War—only to resume intermittent progress in the 1950s. Construction passed the midpoint in 2010 with some of the project’s greatest challenges remaining and an anticipated completion date of 2026—the centennial of Gaudí’s death. The basílica has a long history of dividing the citizens of Barcelona—over the initial possibility it might compete with Barcelona’s cathedral, over Gaudí’s design itself, over the possibility that work after Gaudí’s death disregarded his design, and the recent possibility that an underground tunnel of Spain’s high-speed train could disturb its stability. Although incomplete, the church is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
I love a good storm
Edmonton has been getting some pretty crazy storms this year. I love a good thunderstorm, with lots of lightning and thunder. Nothing like curling up with a cup of team and a blanket on the front porch watching Mother Nature do her thing. Here are some great pictures I found of storms on Pinterest …
Happy long weekend Friday! I have next week off and am looking forward to my birthday, and chilling out at the lake. I am in dire need of some rest and relaxation. Hope everyone has an awesome August long! Here’s a roundup of my favourite pins as of late …
Favourite fall look
Nicest bathroom organization
Chicest travel look
Gorgeous vintage photo
Pre -fall … wear now and later
Happy Friday! I’m only working a half-day today, whoo whoo! That’s because I’m headed to Banff for the weekend. Hopefully I’ll have some photos for you next week. In the meantime here are my favourite pins from the past week!
Best looking bite-sized dessert
Best dressed kid
5 cute suits to beat the heat
Well, it’s official! We bought our first house!!! I’m super excited. It’s a new-build townhouse and our tentative possesion date is the end of August. So in honour of this I am dedicating my weekly roundup to all things decor inspired. Here are my favourite pins this week:
Living room accessories